6.06.2009

TUNA BAO / BAKPAO TUNA


Back to 9 years ago when I was studied in China, there are plenty of bao zi (bahasa: bak pao). Near my apartment, there are lots of little shops which are sold bao zi, and it was really cheap!! One bao zi only cost me 50 cents yuan (price at that time). So, I always bought 10 bao zi after I came back from school (oupssss.........so greedy huh!! :))

There are two kind of bao zi, rou bao (read: meat pao) and cai bao (read: vegie pao), both are tasted good, but I prefer cai bao than rou bao. Cai bao made from chinese chives, and rou bao made from pork or chicken.

So, today I made rou bao, but my rou bao made from tuna....hahahaaha.....a bit weird huh, but it tasted not bad. My hubby liked it so much, he ate 12 bao zi!!! He asked me to make bao zi with vegie and meat.....hmmmm good idea, I would make it next week ;).

Anyway, I got the recipe from my dim sum recipes book from Sisca Soewitomo. For the filling, I modified a bit by added kaffir lime leaves and substituted the chicken to tuna. And I mixed whole wheat flour with all-purpose flour.
So, here you are....Tuna Bao from Belzy's Kitchen... Enjoy!


Tuna Bao / Bakpao Tuna
Ingredients:
Filling:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp sesame oil
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 cans tuna
5 pieces shiitake, soaked, diced
2 pieces kaffir lime leaves
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp minced spring onion
1 tbsp corn starch, mixed with water

Skin/Bao:
Batter A:
300 gram all-purpose flour
1 tsp instant yeast
175 ml water

Batter B:
100 gram all-purpose flour
100 gram whole wheat flour
100 gram granulated sugar (I used 75 gram only)
1 tsp baking powder
100 ml water
50 gram white butter

Directions:
Filling: heat vegetable oil and sesame oil in a pan. Stir fry garlic until fragrant. Add in tuna, shiitake mushroom, spring onion, kaffir lime leaves, oyster sauce, sweet soy sauce, salt and pepper, stir fried well. Add in corn starch, stirred until sticky. Dish it out. Set aside.
Batter A: mix all-purpose flour, instant yeast and water, mixed until the batter doesn't stick on your hand. Let it rest for 1 1/2 hours. (cover the bowl with plastic)

Batter B: mix flours, sugar and baking powder, mixed well. Add in water, mixed well. Shifted batter A and white butter into batter B, mixed well until the batter doesn't stick on your hand.

Roll the batter into oval form. Cut into 12 pieces, rounded. Let it rest for 10 more minutes.

Roll one piece of batter, rolled it with a roller pin. Scope 1-2 teaspoonfuls filling and form it into bao zi form. Place it onto parchment paper. Let it rest for 15 minutes.

Steam it for 10 minutes until steamed well. Dish it out. Ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment