7.24.2009

BANANA NUTS MUFFIN WITH OATMEAL STREUSEL


Yuhuuuu..........I came back from my very long time laziness. Gosh.....it's been almost 1/2 months I didn't update this blog or even visit it......what an irresponsible owner?!?!?!.
Now....oughhh....actually since yesterday, I started to checking this blog and posted something in it ;).

Now, let's back to our food and food :). Yesterday, I've nothing to do, so I tried to browsed recipes...(like I used to). I have no idea what is our snack for that day. Then, I found this healthy and low calories banana muffin recipe from Laura Zapalowski in Cooking Light. And copy-ing from her comments about this muffin: "Whole wheat flour and oatmeal offer whole grains. The prudent amount of walnuts adds fiber, vitamin E, and unsaturated fats. The English walnuts (the most common variety in supermarkets) provide nearly 20 percent of an adequate daily intake of heart-healthy omega-3 fats per serving".

GREAT! I have all ingredients including bananas that over ripe now. So, I grabbed my banana and ready to bake it :). This muffin is so good!! Its a bit different from the muffins that I used to baked, because it baked with oatmeal streusel, so when you bite the muffin, you can taste the crunchiness from the streusel........It's so yummy!!

My hubby who has a sweet teeth loved it so much :). But of course I changed the brown sugar with Splenda granulated sugar which is healthier even more :).

Ok, now who wants to try banana nuts muffin with oatmeal streusel?? Please serve yourself ;)


Banana Nuts Muffin With Oatmeal Streusel

Ingredients
Muffins:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (about 2 1/2 ounces)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar (belzy -- I substituted with Splenda Granulated Sugar)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas) (belzy -- I used 3 big bananas)
3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

Streusel:
6 tablespoons regular oats
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
2 tablespoons brown sugar (belzy -- I substituted with Splenda Granulated Sugar)
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preparation
Preheat oven to 375°.



Method

To prepare the muffins, lightly spoon 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine banana and next 4 ingredients (through egg) in a bowl; stir well. Add to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened; fold in walnuts. Place 12 muffin cup liners in muffin cups. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups.

To prepare streusel, combine oats and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Blend with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle streusel over batter. Bake at 375° for 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Also, I included the nutrition infromation for you below:
Calories: 241 (30% from fat)
Fat: 8.1g (sat 1.9g,mono 3.1g,poly 2.5g)
Protein: 4.6g
Carbohydrate: 38.9g
Fiber: 2.1g
Cholesterol: 23mg
Iron: 1.8mg
Sodium: 164mg
Calcium: 89mg

No comments:

Post a Comment