9.10.2009

CHICKEN KATSU with TONKATSU SAUCE

Suddenly, I missed the old day when I ate chicken katsu at Hoka Hoka Bento when I was in Jakarta. To me, Hoka Hoka Bento has their own fragrant (their rice is really good) and taste which are made me drooling everytime I remember them.

So, for today's dinner I made chicken katsu with tonkatsu sauce (chicken katsu at Hokben didn't come with tonkatsu sauce), also I served it with cabbage salad with homemade thousand island :)......mmmmm soooo yummyyyyy.....


Today's dinner brought memories of Jakarta especially my mom....(lately, I really miss her :( ). Oh well, I'd better enjoy my katsu first........wanna join?


Chicken Katsu with Tonkatsu Sauce

Ingredients:
Chicken:
4 pieces chicken breast halves, flattened
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cups panko bread crumbs (any bread crumbs are ok)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 cups vegetable oil, for deep frying

Sauce: (or you can buy ready stock tonkatsu sauce at Asian market)
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
3 tbsps soy sauce
1 tbsp pineapple juice (optional)
1/2 tsp pepper

Cabbage Salad with thousand island:
1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
3 tbsps mayonnaise
1/2 tbsp chilli sauce
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp lime juice

Directions:
For the sauce:
Stir together the Worchestershire sauce, tomato sauce, soy sauce, pineapple juice, and pepper. Set aside.

For the chicken:
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Season flattened chicken with salt & pepper.
Prepare flour, egg and panko bread crumbs onto separate plates.
Dip flattened chicken pieces first into flour, then egg, and lastly bread crumbs.
Fry breaded chicken breasts in preheated oil until golden brown and no longer pink in center.
Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil, then slice chicken into thin strips and top with a drizzle of sauce.
Serve remaining sauce on the side for dipping.

For the cabbage salad with thousand island:
Stir together mayonnaise, chilli sauce, lime juice and sugar.
Place 2 or 3 pinches of shredded cabbage and pour the thousand island on the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment