2.01.2010

SOTO MIE


Yummy...yummy!! This is my fave dish when I was a kid! What is soto mie? Actually, soto is included in soup's family, but in Indonesia we have soto and soup. Soto is more Indonesian style of soup.

In Jakarta, there were a famous soto mie's stall named Soto Mie Jalan D which is Jalan D was a reflection of the address of the stall. I remember went to Jalan D to eat soto after school when my mom picked me up from the school. Sometimes we went there with my friends and their moms too :).

The funny thing is, when I was in Indonesia, I never really-looking this soto, also, I never try to make it by myself. But, now, when I lived in a far far away country, I missed it! :(. So, I decided to make soto mie by myself *yeaaa, where else I can get this kind Indonesian food here*. Then, I spoiled my mouth and tongue with this-so-missed-soto mie :). Do you wanna join me?



Soto Mie

Ingredients:
5 pieces of tomatoes, sliced
3 pieces of lime leaves
3 pieces of bay leaves
4 pieces of potatoes, peeled, cut halves and deep fried
2 stalks of lemongrass, smashed
1/2 kg of yellow noodle, steamed for 5 minutes
1/4 piece of cabbage, thinly sliced
1 kg brisket (Belzy -- I used regular beef), boil it til the meat is tender, diced and separate the meat from the broth as much as 1500 ml
3 stalks of spring onion, thinly sliced
10 pieces of spring roll (recipe follows)
3 tbsps olive oil.

Spice Paste:
10 cloves of shallots
5 cloves of garlics
1 tsp pepper
2 cm of ginger
2 cm of turmeric
5 pieces of red chilli pepper
salt

Directions:
1. Stir fry spice paste until fragrant, stir in lemongrass, bay leaves and lime leaves. Stir well.
2. Pour the stir fried spices into the beef broth, then pour in meat and boiled the broth. Set aside.
3. Serving: in a bowl, put in yellow noodle, tomato, potato and spring roll. Pour in the beef soup (and the meat).
4. Sprinkle it with spring onion. Better to eat it hot with lime juice and Indonesian sweet soy sauce.

Spring roll:
Prepare 10 pieces of spring roll wrappers. Boiled 150 gr rice noodle until soft, drained. Stir fry 1 clove of minced garlic, stir in the rice noodle, add in salt and pepper. Stir well. Scoope 1 tbsp spoonful rice noodle onto spring roll wrapper, fold the wrapper like you fold an envelope. Then, deep frying the spring roll until golden brown. Ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment