5.15.2010

PRETZEL



Do you remember Auntie Anne's Pretzel? I do! Because it's been so long I never eat Auntie Anne's Pretzel. Why? The reason is X (aka expensive)! hahahahaha....I am so stingy huh!!

When I was lived in Indonesia, I often bought pretzel, cos I think that time the price wasnt as high as now. Also, the other reason is that time I don't need to pay rent or buy my main needs. I only pay for my 'jajanan'. That's why I don't mind to buy one or more pretzels.

Then, I moved to Singapore and I had to pay everything by myself, and it made me think,"Hey, the price of one pretzel is equivalent to a bowl chicken rice complete with rice, chicken, vegie and soup!". Of cos, I chose chicken rice on top of pretzel :) *so my stingy-ness was started from that day..hohoho*

That kind thinking *I called 'so-calculating-minded* been brought to this day. Even though I am married already, my hubby fulfill everything I need and my needs, I still think it's not that worthed to pay so much money only to enjoy one pretzel.



So, I was so excited to try to make my own pretzel! And my pretzel is not bad at all!! I love love love to make my own pretzel now....with the dipping sauce also :).



Pretzel
Source: Jeannie Yee

Ingredients:
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/8 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 tablespoons baking soda
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt (Belzy -- since I don't have it, so I substituted it to garlic salt, and it still tasted good ;))

Directions:
1.In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast, brown sugar and salt in 1 1/2 cups warm water. Stir in flour, and knead dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let rise for one hour.

2.Combine 2 cups warm water and baking soda in an 8 inch square pan (or any flat pan)

3.After dough has risen, cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 3 foot rope, pencil thin or thinner. Twist into a pretzel shape, and dip into the baking soda solution, then right away laid it on a paper towel just long enough to turn it back on your hand and then on your cookie sheet. This way they didn't puddle in the excess water and it's easy to reshape them. Let rise 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with coarse salt or garlic salt before you bake it (if you want to make with cinnamon sugar, do not sprinkle the cinnamon sugar before you bake it. The perfect way is after it baked and brushed with melted butter).

4.Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment