7.20.2011

BBQ OXTAIL



I know....I know....no one barbecued the oxtail before. But let me tell you the 'backscene' why I made it :).

I have plenty of oxtail, and got bored with oxtail soup :(. What should I do with those oxtails?!

Think, think and think! For some reason, I kept thinking that oxtail can be cook with soup only, and it is Indonesian food! So, my brain kept thinking that I should find any "Indonesian" spices to make this oxtail.

Suddenly, I remember when I was in Jakarta, I ate this Indonesian (Makassar) style grilled ribs. And they are so good! And at that time, Konro Karebosi is the only restaurant which is sold this yummy grilled ribs. But, I bet there are plenty of restaurant sold this Makassar style grilled ribs now.



So, from that memories of eating grilled ribs with my mom and siblings, I got an idea to make BBQ Oxtail :). Luckily, I have all the ingredients that I need to make my BBQ Oxtail :).

And, I'm so happy because it turned out so good. It is very tangy. Even when I grilled it, I smelled the tanginess already. It is a good choice if you are bored with oxtail soup!



BBQ Oxtail

Ingredients:
4 big pieces oxtail, trimmed
Vegetable oil for frying

Flour Mixture:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tbsp nutmeg
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried basil

BBQ Sauce:
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cloves shallot, minced
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 inch ginger root, minced
1-1/2 jalapeno, minced (you can add or reduce the jalapeno as you like)
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup ketchup
4 tbsps worcestershire sauce
2 tbsps cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsps rice cooking wine
1 tbsp tabasco
1/2 lemon, squeezed
50 ml water
Salt and blackpepper, to taste

Preparation:
1. Heat the oil over medium high heat.
2. Combine the flour mixture. Dredge the oxtails in the flour mixture. Shake off the excess flour.
3. Fry the floured oxtails into the hot oil until the sides are browned and crispy look. Remove from the pan. Set aside.
4. Transfer the oil and excess fat from the pan. Add 3 tbsps olive oil into the pan. Stir in garlic, shallot, onion and ginger until the onion is caramelized. Add in ketchup, worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, brown sugar, rice cooking wine, tabasco, lemon juice, water, salt and black pepper. Let it slightly boiled.
5. Put the oxtails into the sauce. Coat it up with the sauce. Turn down the heat to low heat. Cover the pan. Let it simmer for 2.5 hours or until you can easily pull the meat off from the bone with fork. Don't forget to turn the oxtails once in a while.
6. Remove the oxtails from the sauce. And grill it on a griller (you can use char-griller, BBQ-griller, any griller will works). Grill it until just enough to have a bit burnt texture. Don't forget to brush it with the sauce while you grill it. If you don't have a griller, you can broil it in the oven. Broil it for 2 to 3 minutes each sides or until there is a bit burnt texture on the oxtails. Or, you can use a non-stick pan and panbroil it until both sides have burnt texture.
7. Serve it with the BBQ sauce and warm brown rice. Yummmm!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delish... BTW, is grilling/bbq-ing optional? You did not mention that step in the instructions.
    I'll bookmark this and try your recipe (hopefully soon)

    Salam kenal,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tuty, thanks for visitng my blog :). and Thanks for telling me that there is no instructions on how to grill it. I totally forget about that part! :(. I added the instructions on how to grill it already. Once again, thanks :)..
    Salam kenal juga :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine cook these but the recipe was different it was a great dish.I think I might try your recipe but but may put my own spin on it..thx.

    ReplyDelete